Brunswick Area Pride and Heritage Committee

Related Pages
Photo Albums

Since 1995 the Brunswick Area Pride and Heritage Committee of the Rotary Club of Brunswick has sought to identify and commemorate locations in the Mid Coast area that are significant to the character and identity of our home. Below is a list of the locations that have been commemorated to date. Stop by and visit each and learn what makes the Mid Coast area our pride and joy.

Location of Brunswick Rotary Club Historic Sites Recognition

1995 Town Farm Cemetery (circa 1831)   Monument is inside a fenced burial field adjacent to   Brunswick Public Works Dept. at the end of Water Street

2000 Mill Cove Tide Mill (circa 1830) Grist Mill Site, High Head road on the crossing of Mill Cove, Harpswell

2001 Brunswick Town Commons (circa 1719) 1,000 acres of commonage, SW corner, 2.5 miles South on Harpswell Road, walk the trail into the Commons about 500 yards.

2001 Orr’s Island Public Library (circa 1905) about a mile before the Cribstone Bridge

2001 Androscoggin Falls (circa 1600) Anniversary Park Overlook, lower level, just before the Brunswick-Topsham Frank J. Wood “green” bridge, Abenaki Indian land and waters

2003 Site of Thomas Purchase log cabin (circa 1628) Brunswick’s first settler and trader, The Daniel Hotel, 10 Water Street, Brunswick, at the base of the flagpole

2004 Site of many water-powered mills (circa 1715) Androscoggin River ocean shipping origin, and first upper falls dam, circa 1753, lower Main Street at the corner of Green Street, Topsham

2005 Brunswick Mall (circa 1823) “public walk for rest and recreation”, at the gazebo

2008 Wharton Point (circa 1686) Named for settler Thomas Wharton, Brunswick terminus for commercial coastal vessels and early settlers, about 2mi. past Brunswick High School to the Head of Maquoit Bay at the end of Maquoit Road known as “12-rod Road”

2010 The Holbrook Wharf (circa 1853) Historic waterfront, 3 buildings, Cundy’s Harbor, East Harpswell on Sebascodegan Island (Erected June 2011)

2012 Site of the Former Brunswick High School (circa 1937-1995) Harriet Beecher Stowe Elementary School inside the parking lot entranceway off Spring Street

2013 Site of The Brunswick Railroad Station (circa 1855) Brunswick Station Complex, Visitor Center exterior wall, central entranceway leading to the steps of the Amtrak Downeaster train platform

2013 Site of the Curtis Memorial Library (circa 1883/1904) Brunswick's public library, 23 Pleasant Street, exterior wall to the right of the main entrance, adjacent to the Book Drop slot

2014 Site of the First Brunswick High School (circa 1851/1915) 46 Federal Street, formerly Hawthorne School, and now Superintendent of Schools District Offices, exterior wall, entranceway ramp  

2015 Site of the U. S. Naval Air Station Brunswick (circa 1628/1943) Brunswick Landing at the Orion P-3 aircraft interim Legacy Park on Fitch Avenue just before the former Navy Chapel, now the fledgling Brunswick Naval Museum & Memorial Gardens

2016 Site of the Growstown School (circa 1849) Now a Living History Center. Intersection of Woodside and Church Roads, ½ mile past McKeen Street intersection with Church Road, Brunswick